guix-devel

Re: ARM: Installation and Booting; was: Re: GuixSD on ARM;

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: ARM: Installation and Booting; was: Re: GuixSD on ARM;
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 21:50:50 +0200

Hi,

> Also I think the same file as u-boot is the right place for it
> [device-tree-compiler].

device-tree-compiler is actually needed for all kernels on embedded. Embedded
devices don't have a BIOS and so you have to have some kind of hardware
description in order to be able to even boot. The Linux kernel bundles a
device-tree-compiler, that's why it didn't pop up sooner.

I'm fine with putting it into the u-boot module. Just know that u-boot is just
the earliest one that needs it (because it patches device-tree files in order
to pass information about the boot process to the kernel). Next the Linux
kernel needs it and next all expansion board drivers need it, too. (all of
those only while compiling)

It's a compiler, so you don't need it at runtime.