guix-devel

Re: flashrom package needs update

From: ng0
Subject: Re: flashrom package needs update
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2016 07:35:20 +0000

ng0 <address@hidden> writes:

> Someone should update flashrom to 0.9.9.
> (https://www.flashrom.org/Flashrom/0.9.9)
> I tried and do not understand enough of flashrom to update the patch we need.

Additionally we need to check what's different about GuixSD that this
happens:

address@hidden /home/ng0# flashrom -p internal -w libreboot_latest_stable.rom
flashrom v0.9.7-r1711 on Linux 4.7.0-gnu (x86_64)
flashrom is free software, get the source code at http://www.flashrom.org

Calibrating delay loop... OK.
Error accessing high tables, 0x100000 bytes at 0x000000007dad6000
/dev/mem mmap failed: Operation not permitted
Failed getting access to coreboot high tables.
WARNING! You seem to be running flashrom on an unsupported laptop.
Laptops, notebooks and netbooks are difficult to support and we
recommend to use the vendor flashing utility. The embedded controller
(EC) in these machines often interacts badly with flashing.
See the manpage and http://www.flashrom.org/Laptops for details.

If flash is shared with the EC, erase is guaranteed to brick your laptop
and write may brick your laptop.
Read and probe may irritate your EC and cause fan failure, backlight
failure and sudden poweroff.
You have been warned.
Aborting.
Error: Programmer initialization failed.

I value that GuixSD seems to be more protective than any other system in
that regard where I could just become root and run flashrom, but maybe
we need to make an exception for flashrom and similar software.
Booting into ubuntu-live and running a statically linked binary of
flashrom just made me flash libreboot stable. I want to do this from
within GuixSD.
--
ng0
For non-prism friendly talk find me on http://www.psyced.org