guix-devel

Re: Network with QEMU generated image (guix system vm)?

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Network with QEMU generated image (guix system vm)?
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 09:12:47 +0000

 > Hi,

 > It should be enough to add “-net user” on the run-vm.sh command line
 > (info "(guix) Running GuixSD in a VM"), and then having a DHCP client
 > run inside the VM, such as ‘dhcp-client-service’.

 > Does that help?

 > Ludo’.

I will double check on dhcp-client-service, but afaik I already tried
all variations of dhcp we can have in guix.
I will try passing just this again.

 >  > It should be enough to add “-net user” on the run-vm.sh command line
 >  > (info "(guix) Running GuixSD in a VM"), and then having a DHCP client
 >  > run inside the VM, such as ‘dhcp-client-service’.

 >  Ah, yes this probably needs some documentation. Also should include an
 >  explanation why the flag isn't added by default and how to connect to
 >  a ssh server running in the vm.

 >  > Currently I can't ping

 >  You can't ping a vm anyway since it emulates the TCP/UDP layers I
 >  think and no ICMP. [0]

Thanks for the answer, but as I've written in my initial question I
don't want to ping the VM.
I am creating a VM from a guix branch with ./pre-inst-env guix system
and a config.scm of a specific system. I've read my initial post again
and I can understand how you could draw this conclusion.
So, I am not trying to ping the VM. I am inside the VM and my service
needs an outbound connection to get an initial file into its home. To
debug my service I need to test if I can ping gnu.org because connection
fails in every configuration I have. With the normal qemu VMs running
Gentoo in NixOS I have, I can use ping which is normal expected behavior.

--
              ng0