guix-devel

Re: Network with QEMU generated image (guix system vm)?

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Network with QEMU generated image (guix system vm)?
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 10:06:59 +0000

ng0 <address@hidden> writes:

>  > Hi,
>
>  > It should be enough to add “-net user” on the run-vm.sh command line
>  > (info "(guix) Running GuixSD in a VM"), and then having a DHCP client
>  > run inside the VM, such as ‘dhcp-client-service’.
>
>  > Does that help?
>
>  > Ludo’.
>
> I will double check on dhcp-client-service, but afaik I already tried
> all variations of dhcp we can have in guix.
> I will try passing just this again.
>
>  >  > It should be enough to add “-net user” on the run-vm.sh command line
>  >  > (info "(guix) Running GuixSD in a VM"), and then having a DHCP client
>  >  > run inside the VM, such as ‘dhcp-client-service’.
>
>  >  Ah, yes this probably needs some documentation. Also should include an
>  >  explanation why the flag isn't added by default and how to connect to
>  >  a ssh server running in the vm.
>
>  >  > Currently I can't ping
>
>  >  You can't ping a vm anyway since it emulates the TCP/UDP layers I
>  >  think and no ICMP. [0]
>
> Thanks for the answer, but as I've written in my initial question I
> don't want to ping the VM.
> I am creating a VM from a guix branch with ./pre-inst-env guix system
> and a config.scm of a specific system. I've read my initial post again
> and I can understand how you could draw this conclusion.
> So, I am not trying to ping the VM. I am inside the VM and my service
> needs an outbound connection to get an initial file into its home. To
> debug my service I need to test if I can ping gnu.org because connection
> fails in every configuration I have. With the normal qemu VMs running
> Gentoo in NixOS I have, I can use ping which is normal expected behavior.

Adding: this is about gnunet-service, previously not published. I can't
continue with git service due to the reasons you will see in the
reminder I've sent about it in the thread.

Do I have to add a networking bridge in GuixSD for the VM to work?
Currently nscd in the VM is discovered at 10.0.2.2 and the VM gets
10.0.2.15. If so, can you either point me to documentation or what I
have to search for or provide some quick instructions how I set this up
on GuixSD?

>  >  [0]
> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/78953/qemu-how-to-ping-host-network

Thanks