guix-devel

Re: Editing Scheme in the installation image

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: Editing Scheme in the installation image
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2017 19:27:03 -0600

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Mike Gran <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>>>On Sunday, January 8, 2017 2:48 AM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>>I think it would take more than elisp compilation support to port Emacs
>>>packages to Zile-on-Guile.  Essentially we’d need many APIs that Emacs
>>>provides.
>>
>> I looked at the current beta of paredit, and I quickly scanned
>> the code to look for *emacs* primitives.  Below please find a list
>> of the primitives that Zile is missing.  Note that this isn't the
>> missing *elisp* procedures.
>> Adding the majority of these is quite straightforward, but,
>> some have heretofore been out of scope for Zile. The missing
>> categories of concepts are
>> - lisp and scheme filling and indentation
>> - blinking the cursor or a matching parenthesis
>> - handling comments
>> - handling what emacs calls "lists" which is moving up and down
>>   balanced parentheses
>> Here's the list. I probably missed a few.
>
> Woow, thanks for investigating!
>
> Looks non-trivial.  I wonder how much of it could be trimmed by focusing
> just on the subset of Paredit relating to matching parens.
>
> Ludo’.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I think it got lost...
mit-scheme's edwin includes a scheme-based paredit.  I haven't tried
looking at how much work it would be to port to Zile, but I'm guessing
since it's also scheme, it wouldn't be much work.

I've extracted it from the latest mit-scheme release and included it.
The code is in the public domain.

Maybe it can be of use?

Note: it might also be possible to pilfer some logic from edwin to "fill
in" the missing procedures to make Zile work.