guix-devel

Re: Install FAQ: Only build the non-deterministic packages?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Install FAQ: Only build the non-deterministic packages?
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 14:14:24 +0100

Hello!

carlo von lynX <address@hidden> skribis:

> Congrats! ng0 just showed me
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/reproducibility.html

Spoiler alert!  :-)

(I haven’t mentioned it on the list yet because it’s not fully baked.)

> Great file.. and great that I only saw some twenty important
> packages that need to be built manually.. most of the stuff
> is trustworthy in binary form. EXCELLENT!
>
> Now the perfect thing would be that this list is actually
> part of the Guix OS, gpg-signed by several developers and
> parsed automatically so that the *default* behaviour of
> the guix installation process is to build the non-reproducible
> packages while fetching the reproducible ones directly in
> binary form.

The problem is that you never know whether a package is reproducible.
At best you can tell that a package is *not* reproducible, but that’s
it.

On the same topic ;-), you’ll probably enjoy these reports:

  https://reproducible-builds.org/events/berlin2016/

> By the way, "I hate guile" was a joke. I'm just too dumb for it.

Not sure what you’re referring to.  However, I can tell that what we’re
trying to do (and what I’m personally interested in) is to show that we
can provide simple interfaces to OS config while not preventing users
from “zooming it” and digging into implementation details.

As such, usability reports are more than welcome, especially from people
who are not professional Lispers!

Ludo’.