guix-devel

Re: Mozilla help needed - 0ad, or: how to pass the version to mozjs-38?

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Mozilla help needed - 0ad, or: how to pass the version to mozjs-38?
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 11:04:42 +0000

ng0 <address@hidden> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> ng0 <address@hidden> writes:

>>> It's not about pretty, it's about this being a terrible piece of
>>> unstable, not 100% released software which is public available
>>> and being bundled by some applications (for example 0ad) and you
>>> either accept the bundle or unbundle it.
>>
>> You haven’t yet answered Maxim’s question.  The error you showed in your
>> previous email is likely because these values are undefined.  Do you get
>> different errors when these values are defined?
>
> Okay, note to self: Do not assume that everyone can read between
> the lines. That was a bad reply I gave to a question.
> To answer: yes, I have tried to set this and other reasonable envs
> (see
> https://pagure.io/guix-dev/c/07c579fd3e7e0621ef0f323b6130c74fe5a09f62?branch=games%2F0ad
> ) and it had no effect.
>
>> Are these values set by the build system at some point?  (Just grep the
>> sources to see where these values are used.)
>
> The values are used, but they are not changed/applied during the
> build.
> There's a Makefile, but everyone else (distros) is just skipping
> that. I did so too, but I haven't documented the reason(s) for
> myself. I will try running autotools and use this Makefile, to
> document at least what it does.

This is why I did it:

address@hidden ~/r/mozjs-38.0.0> cat INSTALL
Full build documentation for SpiderMonkey is hosted on MDN:
  https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/SpiderMonkey/Build_Documentation

Note that the libraries produced by the build system include
symbols,
causing the binaries to be extremely large. It is highly
suggested that `strip`
be run over the binaries before deploying them.

Building with default options may be performed as follows:
  cd js/src
  ./configure
  make