guix-devel

Re: gnu: Add syncthing.

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: gnu: Add syncthing.
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 23:53:00 -0500

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 01:48:57PM +0100, Petter wrote:
> On 2016-12-16 02:52, Leo Famulari wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 10:06:59PM +0100, Petter wrote:
> > > +    (arguments
> > > +     `(#:import-path "github.com/syncthing/syncthing"
> >
> > What do you think about having the go-build-system try to automatically
> > generate the import-path based on the source URL, with the option for
> > the packager to set it manually, as shown here?
> >
> > For many of the packages in this patch (which will eventually be split
> > into one package per patch ;) ), that auto-generated import-path
> > could be correct.
> >
> > I think that an (arguments) field indicates that the package's build
> > scripts have deviated from the standard. If a Guix build system requires
> > all of its packages to do something in (arguments), the build system
> > should be extended :)
>
> This is my goal, and I tried to accomplish this initially, because as
> you can see for git checkouts most of the time import-path is url
> minus scheme://. But I was unable to retrieve the url in the build
> phases. So I did it like this instead, to get something that worked;
> also something like #:import-path is required where import-path can't
> be derived from the url.
>
> I would need concrete help with this, that is getting the url and
> perhaps what (method) was used.

Does anyone have any advice here?

The issue is that the Go build tools typically want the source code to
be unpacked in a directory structure based on the URL of the Git repo.
We can set it "by hand" in the package definition, which is what the
current go-build-system patches do, but it would be great to have a
default that worked most of the time.