guix-devel

Re: Multiple python-3 packages

From: Benz Schenk
Subject: Re: Multiple python-3 packages
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 16:18:01 +0100

On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 05:12:25 -0500
Leo Famulari <address@hidden> wrote:

> Currently we have Python 3.4 and 3.5. Python 3.6 was released recently.
>
> When we added 3.5, I thought it was a good idea to keep 3.4 around in
> case some packages need it. It turns out that nothing is using it in our
> tree.
>
> Do we want to keep 3.4 and 3.5 around? There is a maintenance cost
> incurred at each new release, because their shared patches tend to
> diverge each time.

As far as my grep-fu tells me, there's no packages that rely on a
specific Python 3 release in their definition as of now, so I'd be in
favour of dropping the old versions.

If packages start to fail because of compatibility issues, I'd say
that's
a) an upstream issue, which admittedly has to be worked around until
they hopefuly fix it, but still
b) until the definitions of the affected packages are patched it would
happen anyway

worst case scenario, the old versions have to be are added again and
people just rollback and keep using whatever they have installed atm
until the needed version is available again and the package definitions
are fixed

> If we should keep them, how should the package inheritance go? Now, it's
> like this:
>
> 2.7 < 3.5 < 3.4
>
> If we kept them all, should 3.5 and 3.4 both inherit 3.6?

That would make sense