guix-devel

Re: Leaving the guix project

From: David Craven
Subject: Re: Leaving the guix project
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2017 12:13:05 +0100

> Accepting pre-built binaries as part of kernel sources

I don't think this is true either, or has not been for a very long
time (~7y?). If you look at the dates of the commits that added binary
blobs (i.e. the firmware directory), those are many years old. It is
an active effort to move the blobs out of the linux kernel into
linux-firmware. This requires rewriting drivers that do use binary
blobs. I'm also pretty sure they'd accept a patch to add a kernel
configuration option to not include these "old" drivers...

The linux kernel build system provides ways of building modules that
include binary blobs - but I don't think those are accepted into
mainline anymore, it's just a mechanism that some companies still
require to provide out of tree board support packages etc.