guix-devel

Re: Non-graphical GRUB configuration

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Non-graphical GRUB configuration
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2017 07:59:19 -0400

On Sun, Apr 02, 2017 at 05:06:20PM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
> Based on the GRUB manual [0], how about this plan?
>
> We'd add these fields to (grub-configuration):
>
> terminal-outputs: One or more symbols: console, serial, gfxterm,
> ofconsole, vga_text. Default gfxterm.
>
> terminal-inputs: One or more symbols: console, serial, ofconsole,
> at_keyboard,usb_keyboard. Default unset.
>
> If 'terminal-inputs' or 'serial-*' are unset, we do what we do now:
> nothing. If 'terminal-outputs' is unset, we also do the same thing we
> now, which is set it to gfxterm.
>
> If any of them are set, we'd insert the corresponding text into the
> generated grub.cfg.
>
> If terminal-outputs does not include the symbol 'gfxterm', we'd disable
> the "setup_gfxterm" function.

Here's a WIP patch that I'd like some advice about. It does insert the
relevant text into grub.cfg, although I recommend testing it in a
virtual machine for now.

Questions:

1) In general, is this approach okay?

2) I think that (grub-setup-io) should be used in
(grub-configuration-file) instead of (eye-candy). But, when I try
calling it there, in the builder, it has no effect on grub.cfg. Any
suggestions for debugging this?