guix-devel

Re: Extending the mysql configuration

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Extending the mysql configuration
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 11:07:17 +0200

On Wed 19 Apr 2017 19:45, Christopher Baines <address@hidden> writes:

> I also spotted the define-configuration syntax, which looks like it
> might work well, but I wanted to check if this was definitely a
> direction more services were heading before attempting to write out a
> large part of the supported configuration options.

MHO is this is the direction we should go in.  Having a configuration
defined in a data type that Guix can understand makes it easier to
operate on the system as a whole -- the system can see your mysql
configuration and introspect on it, it's easy to define extension
points, etc.  There are a few services that use this approach and I
expect the number to grow over time.  At the same time many of these
services have the option to fall back on an opaque configuration when
you have special needs or a different workflow -- see dovecot for a very
long example.

Andy