guix-devel

Re: XPATH queries and manipulation in guile?

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: XPATH queries and manipulation in guile?
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 10:55:24 +0200

On Sun 23 Apr 2017 19:10, Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> writes:

> Yes, I've seen SXPath [4], but IMHO this usign this would *not* be a
> good choice: It would require packages to learn yet another path
> language, while when using XPath, the packagers could simply copy
> expressions from some fedora .spec-file. Additionally I find the
> documentation of SXpath hard to understand - for be frank: I did not get
> it at all.

The documentation is indeed terrible.  This library is used by other
Schemes; we should see if we can steal their docs, if they are better.

However it's possible to use SXPath with the string syntax.  I seem to
recall there's code out there to do that.  We could incorporate into
Guile to just support the standard syntax.  I think the way forward here
is to improve Guile's sxpath documentation, fixing whatever interfaces
are needed, and adding the xpath->selector function.

Andy