guix-devel

Re: Debugging info unavailability

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Debugging info unavailability
Date: Wed, 03 May 2017 08:29:00 +0200

Maxim Cournoyer <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Adding the "debug" to the default value of <package> would every package
>>> to now have a debug output; isn't this why Danny suggested to only
>>> change it at the build system level? That way nothing which doesn't have
>>> debugging symbols by default would break or have a useless debug output.
>>
>> Yes, it’s tempting to do it at the build-system level.  However, there
>> would now be a discrepancy between the actual outputs of the package
>> derivations and those of the package object: the package object would
>> declare just one output, but the corresponding derivation would have two
>> outputs.
>>

> Thanks for pointing that! It would be a Bad Thing indeed to introduce a
> mismatch between the package definition and the corresponding store
> item...
>
> Possibly another Bad Idea, but we could leave things as they are... And
> run a script which would rewrite (really, at the package definition
> level) the package outputs to include "debug" for every package built
> using the gnu/glib-or-gtk build systems? The commit will not be
> pretty, that would bring us where we want to be? Being Scheme, that'd be
> somewhat easy.

This sounds better.  I just don’t know if Hydra would have enough space
for all of these additional outputs.

Can we increase storage space on Hydra already or do we need to wait for
bayfront to replace the server in Boston?

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net