guix-devel

Re: Debugging info unavailability

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: Debugging info unavailability
Date: Fri, 5 May 2017 15:09:33 -0700

Hi!

> Maybe that’s because you stumbled upon corrupt items?  I really think
> we’re reaching the end of these problems now that we use ‘guix publish
> --cache’.

That's possible! I've stumbled on a few of those in the past 2 weeks.
It's good to know something's been done about it!

>> What good is a substitute server if it doesn't hold the stuff I need
>> *now*? :) On the other side, it really makes me want to look at GNUnet,
>> which seems like the better long term solution.
>
> Though GNUnet doesn’t solve the fact that one needs a lot of CPU and
> storage to build and store all this.  :-)

I think what I meant was "integration of GNUnet with guix publish".
Something which would allow anyone to effortlessly share what's been
built on their machine with the other Guix users. A zero config kind
of thing, with auto discovery of peers and available substitutes.

I haven't researched much about GNUnet yet, but it seems it might be
fit for that purpose.

Maxim