guix-devel

Re: Debugging info unavailability

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Debugging info unavailability
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 23:04:03 +0200

ng0 <address@hidden> skribis:

> Maxim Cournoyer transcribed 4.2K bytes:

[...]

>> Also, why not packaging a GNUnet-next already in Guix? With only two
>> bugs left to fix, it should already work rather well (maybe better?)
>> compared to 0.10.1? Guix makes it easy to have multiple versions if we
>> need -- let's make use of it!
>
> Refer to Ludovic and others for the reasons why we don't have that.

Hi!  :-) At the time we discussed it I was reluctant to adding a GNUnet
snapshot as a package because (1) we have the general rule¹ to package
only releases, and (2) when we violate the rule anyway ;-), we need to
be confident that we’re doing the right thing, such as picking the right
commit.

#2 is hard unless you’re also an upstream developer of the software in
question.  For example we wouldn’t want to have Guix users run a version
of GNUnet that uses a protocol compatible neither with the old nor with
the next version.

So I would urge you to lobby on the gnunet-developers list until we get
a shiny new release.  :-)

Ludo’.

¹ https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Version-Numbers.html