guix-devel

Re: User-Friendlyness of Guix and non-scaryness, printing messages

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: User-Friendlyness of Guix and non-scaryness, printing messages
Date: Sun, 28 May 2017 15:47:34 -0400

On Sun, May 28, 2017 at 09:40:29PM +0200, Danny Milosavljevic wrote:
> On Sun, 28 May 2017 15:20:58 -0400
> Leo Famulari <address@hidden> wrote:
> The scripts I mean are:
> > Command-line interfaces are not suitable for usage by "non-technical
> > users" anyways; they demand a GUI.
>
> Yes, but these were technical users - the deepest technical users, too.

Right, but my point was that new tools are unfamiliar and intimidating
even to technical users. I might know how to use GCC, but I will still
find the interface and output of another language's compiler strange and
basically useless until I learn how to use it.

> > So, I'm wary of sacrificing a flexible and powerful CLI on behalf of
> > users who really will never use a CLI. Now, I'm not saying there is
> > nothing to improve. Rather, I'm saying that the existing Guix CLI is
> > pretty good, and we should be careful about changing it.
>
> I agree.  Let's talk about it first :)
>
> Also, I agree about not touching "guix build".  That one is mostly for
> package authors and it makes sense that it prints the stuff
> immediately.

Okay :) By the way, I know that my tastes are old-school and that I am
very conservative about changing things. We should think about this sort
of change before Guix 1.0.