guix-devel

Re: collaboration from students of a technical school

From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira
Subject: Re: collaboration from students of a technical school
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2017 21:15:26 -0300

That's very good news indeed! :)

I don't speak for the GNU Guix project itself, but here goes a
description on how I ended up being a package maker for GNU Guix:

For making package recipes, I mostly use knownledge about Scheme and
basics of build systems (no need to know each of the various build
systems from top to bottom, just the basis such as why they exist, which
steps they require, and where to look for reference/documentation on
each one). The rest of the build systems' particularities are learned
over time.

Of course, there are particularities regarding to how things are placed
by GNU Guix, but this is not that difficult because it only strips
"/usr" from the path and changes references to "/". :)

Another important thing to note however, is that they must be aware
that, despite the name, GitHub and GitLab are *not* the only repository
hosting service providers. There is also GNU Savannah, which *also*
supports providing hosting of Git repositories (this can be configured
per project).

GNU Savannah is the one used by GNU Guix, and also the one which is most
ethical according to
[[https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria-evaluation.html]]. In the
end, what matters is that they know how to work with Git.

Simple commands include: `git clone`, `git pull`, `git add`, `git
commit`, `git format-patch`, `git show`, `git log`, `git diff`, `git
status`. Of course, these are commands sufficient only to get things
going (like contributions and stuff), in this list I have completely
ignored commands that might also be convenient (/e.g./: `git checkout`,
`git reset`, `git describe`, `git tag`, `git fetch`, `git update-ref`,
`git stash`, `git reflog`).

As always, we welcome any question or suggestion, and will probably
discuss these when applicable. :)

--
- [[https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno]]
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com