guix-devel

Our package names should not include "github-com"

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Our package names should not include "github-com"
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 13:12:32 -0400

Hi Leo,

address@hidden (Leo Famulari) writes:

> lfam pushed a commit to branch master
> in repository guix.
>
> commit 478ebb31a96955fc03fcea55a4432976ddb49319
> Author: Leo Famulari <address@hidden>
> Date:   Wed Oct 11 20:22:32 2017 -0400
>
>     gnu: Add go-github-com-templexxx-reedsolomon.

On this, and a great many other packages, you've included "github-com-"
in the package names.  I think this is a very bad idea.  For one thing,
we should not advertise, promote, or enhance the lock-in of GitHub, and
this policy does all three.  Sometimes a maintainer decides to change
their hosting arrangements.  When they do so, we should simply be able
to update some URLs in one package definition.  We should not have to do
a global find/replace on the package name and alert our users to update
their profiles and OS definitions.  That contributes to lock-in.

What do you think?

      Mark