guix-devel

Re: Status update on reproducible builds in Guix

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: Status update on reproducible builds in Guix
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2017 22:14:37 +0100

> Hello,
>
> Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Yesteday we had a discussion about that on irc.
>> Here it goes:
>>

>> [15:15:16] <g_bor> hello guix!
>> [15:16:01] <g_bor> do we have a proposed way to build pyc files
>> reproducibly?
>> [15:16:50] <g_bor> I've read in the report, that we are not there yet, but
>> is someone working on it?
>> [15:17:58] <lfam> g_bor: This is the report you mention? <
>> https://bugs.gnu.org/22533>
>> [15:18:10] <lfam> I'm not sure if anyone has been working on it since the
>> last message
>> [15:20:26] * Guest74 has joined #guix
>> [15:23:05] <g_bor> thx, just what i was looking for.
>> [15:23:26] <lfam> It's possible that some work in this area is pending on
>> the 'core-updates' Git branch, but I'm not sure
>> [15:37:41] <mb[m]1> At this stage we might as well wait for this to land
>> upstream: https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0552/
>>
>> So, it seems, that we are waiting for this pep to land upstream.
>
> Cool, thanks for the notification.
>
> Now, I’d be in favor of incorporating a patch in the meantime, rather
> than wait for the PEP to materialize.

I tried cherry-picking this patch at some point, but hit some difficult
test failures and haven't had time to follow up on it:

https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/296

According to FRidh from NixOS in that thread, this fix is also needed:

https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/development/interpreters/python/cpython/3.6/default.nix#L75

Help in this area very welcome!

> I can’t find Debian’s patches in
> <https://alioth.debian.org/scm/loggerhead/pkg-python/python3-defaults-debian/files/head:/debian/>,
> but they probably have something.

Debian is "cheating" in that they compile the Python code at install
time.  So the build artifact is reproducible, but not the installed
product.  :-)