guix-devel

Re: Changing HTTP proxy settings in GuixSD

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Changing HTTP proxy settings in GuixSD
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 21:28:39 -0800

Konrad Hinsen <address@hidden> writes:

>> A quick workaround would be to do something along these lines:
>>
>>    # herd stop guix-daemon
>>    # http_proxy=… guix-daemon --build-users-group=guixbuild
>>    # guix system reconfigure config.scm
>>
>> where config.scm has the relevant proxy configuration of in
>> ‘guix-configuration’.
>>
>> Would that work for you?
>
> No. Downloads fail with messages of the type
>
> ERROR: Wrong type to apply: "mirror.hydra.gnu.org"
>
> This looks like the proxy returns something that guix-daemon doesn't
> expect. Unfortunately, this may well be the fault of my institutions
> proxy, which has caused lots of people lots of trouble of various
> kinds.

That error looks suspicious.  Perhaps you already know this, but it
probably means that the string "mirror.hydra.gnu.org" wound up being
used where a procedure should probably have been used instead.  For
example, in your Guile REPL, you can reproduce this kind of error like
this:

    scheme@(guile-user)> ("this is not a procedure")
    ERROR: ERROR: Wrong type to apply: "this is not a procedure"

The workaround that Ludo described, in which you temporarily stop the
guix-daemon, and then start it in an environment where http_proxy is set
appropriately, should work.  If it isn't, then can I ask to see the
commands and conigs you're using which fail?

--
Chris