guix-devel

Re: Installation

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Installation
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 16:47:24 +0100

> Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> I believe, that we could make a powerful extension to guixsd if we could do
>> an installation from an installation description.
>>
>> I think this installation description should look like the operating-system
>> description we
>> already have.
>
> In what way would it defer?  :-)
>
> ‘operating-system’ *is* an “installation description.”

I guess it would differ from what we have currently in that it would
also specify partitioning information, which is not handled by
“operating-system”.

Does it make sense to extend “operating-system” such that disk
partitioning information could be included and (*holds breath*) acted
upon automatically?

Acting on partitioning info is a little scary because it can easily lead
to data loss upon reconfiguration.  Small bugs could lead to very big
problems, so maybe this should not be default behaviour.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net