guix-devel

Re: Translating to Chinese, Spanish and Japanese (and more)

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Translating to Chinese, Spanish and Japanese (and more)
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2018 11:19:59 +0100

Heya!

For those who where not at FOSDEM: this is a topic we discussed, and the
main stumbling block currently is that it’s not clear how to add i18n
support in Haunt and/or the web site itself.

julien lepiller <address@hidden> skribis:

> as I said during FOSDEM, I'm willing to translate the website, blog
> posts, and manual into French.  My only concern is that the translations
> may fall out of sync without anyone noticing.  With gettext, it's easy
> to know when strings are not translated, but what about the solution
> that would be used by haunt?

The latest discussions I’m aware of on this topic are at:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2017-12/msg00024.html

Florian proposed introducing a “stringly-typed” markup language to allow
the translation of strings that contain markup (which sxml would
prevent):

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2017-12/msg00040.html

At FOSDEM I thought we could maybe use XML-in-strings directly and have
a macro that does ‘xml->sxml’ at expansion time, pretty much like what
Florian wrote above.

Anyway there are ideas floating around, so I’m sure you and Florian and
others will find out!  :-)

Ludo’.