guix-devel

Re: heads-up: Haskell updates

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: heads-up: Haskell updates
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 15:42:00 +0100

Hi Timothy,

> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I have just rebuilt ghc-resourcet with a modified ghc-mtl, which I
>> suspect is the source of the problem, because it pulls in a newer
>> version of ghc-transformers.  I’m going to push this to core-updates and
>> master in a moment.
>
> Based on your earlier suggestion, I played around with removing all the
> packages that GHC provides.  I made the same change to ghc-mtl on
> core-updates, and it allows me to build ghc-resourcet.
[…]
> Is this too drastic?  I could rebase on top of your ghc-mtl changes and
> submit a patch if you think its OK.

Not too drastic.  This is exactly what I had hoped for :)

Thank you for making the effort.  A patch on top of latest core-updates
/ master would be very welcome.

Thank you very much!

Now, how do we prevent this in the future?  Can we modify “guix lint” to
warn about these cases?  Can we also change the hackage importer to
keep these packages out of the inputs of generated package definitions?

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net