guix-devel

Re: 'core-updates' spring 2018

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: 'core-updates' spring 2018
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 16:09:11 +0200

Hello!

Marius Bakke <address@hidden> skribis:

> 'core-updates' has seen a lot of changes recently.  Some of the goodies
> include HTTP/2 support in curl, binutils 2.30, glibc 2.27, reproducible
> Python bytecode, gnu-build-system will automatically run 'autoreconf' if
> necessary, warnings will be issued about snippets and phases not
> returning #t, and much more.
>
> Are there other things that should go in?
>
> Let's set a date for "freezing" it, after which it will be started on
> Hydra and only bugfixes are allowed.  How about Monday, April 2nd?

Sounds good to me!  Save the date!  :-)

For those wondering how to keep the branch active in the meantime ;-), a
useful thing to do would be to put a few key packages on a diet.  For
instance, python and llvm are pretty big and it would be good to see how
we could make them smaller.

For Python specifically, it may be that we can make “python-minimal” the
new python, and build the sqlite, readline, tcl/tk stuff as separate
packages altogether.

Ludo’.