guix-devel

Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines?
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 12:23:02 +0200

Hello Mathieu,

Good to see you here!

Mathieu Lirzin <address@hidden> skribis:

> Following the announcement made by RMS regarding the new GNU Kind
> Communication Guidelines (GKCG) [1], I would like to know if the Guix
> developpers in particular its maintainers would agree to adopt it in
> place of the current Code of Conduct (CoC)?

Speaking for myself: no.  I think the GKCG fails to address important
issues, such as defining what’s acceptable and what’s not as well as
clear processes to address this.

> Adopting the GKCG instead of a CoC would help attracting people (like
> me) who agree to use a welcoming and respectful language which
> encourages everyone to contribute but are reluctant in contributing to
> any project following a CoC due to its punitive nature and the politics
> of its authors [2][3].

Codes of conduct codify acceptable behavior and formalize processes:
what can I do as a contributor if I’m a victim bad behavior or
harassment?  What are the group communication rules?  What if I
knowingly break those rules?

By adopting the code of conduct, we maintainers committed to spend our
time as needed to so your experience contributing to Guix won’t be a
source of stress or worse, as is too often the case in on-line
communities.

The GKCG do not do that.  Problems will be dealt with in an ad hoc
fashion (as they already are in groups that have not codified rules), if
they are addressed at all.

I hope this answers your question.

Happy hacking!

Ludo’.