guix-devel

Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines?

From: Mathieu Lirzin
Subject: Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines?
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 18:06:45 +0200

Hello Ludo,

> Mathieu Lirzin <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Following the announcement made by RMS regarding the new GNU Kind
>> Communication Guidelines (GKCG) [1], I would like to know if the Guix
>> developpers in particular its maintainers would agree to adopt it in
>> place of the current Code of Conduct (CoC)?
>
> Speaking for myself: no.  I think the GKCG fails to address important
> issues, such as defining what’s acceptable and what’s not as well as
> clear processes to address this.

I am sad that you feels that the GKCG is not sufficient for defining the
acceptable behavior of the members of a Free Software community.

>> Adopting the GKCG instead of a CoC would help attracting people (like
>> me) who agree to use a welcoming and respectful language which
>> encourages everyone to contribute but are reluctant in contributing to
>> any project following a CoC due to its punitive nature and the politics
>> of its authors [2][3].
>
> Codes of conduct codify acceptable behavior and formalize processes:
> what can I do as a contributor if I’m a victim bad behavior or
> harassment?  What are the group communication rules?  What if I
> knowingly break those rules?
>
> By adopting the code of conduct, we maintainers committed to spend our
> time as needed to so your experience contributing to Guix won’t be a
> source of stress or worse, as is too often the case in on-line
> communities.
>
> The GKCG do not do that.  Problems will be dealt with in an ad hoc
> fashion (as they already are in groups that have not codified rules), if
> they are addressed at all.
>
> I hope this answers your question.

Yes it does perfectly.

I personnaly think dealing with such issues in an ad hoc fashion is the
right approach when acceptable behaviors are the norm, which IME has
been the case.

Anyway I still hope that the Guix community will eventually accept the
GKCG as an acceptable tradeoff in the CoC debate.

Thanks.

--
Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761  070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37