guix-devel

Re: Nano: disable hard wrapping by default

From: Alex Vong
Subject: Re: Nano: disable hard wrapping by default
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2018 13:38:35 +0800

swedebugia <address@hidden> writes:

[...]
> That is what soft wrapping is for (soft wrap = on screen only, hard
> wrap = break lines with \n to fit on screen whatever the cost).
>
> Soft wrapping is supported with: --softwrap
>
> Arch/Antergos has this:
>
> $ nano -V
>  GNU nano, version 3.1
>  Kompileringsflaggor: --disable-wrapping-as-root --enable-utf8
>
> Gentoo warns in their wiki but compile as we do now with
> utf8. https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-editors/nano

Good to learn something new! For editing files, I prefer soft wrapping
because of the reason mentioned before but not hard wrapping because of
the reason mentioned by Gentoo:

  Important

  To edit configuration files always pass nano the -w option. Without
  the -w option long lines become wrapped lines. This creates problems
  when saving because the lines are saved as wrapped lines instead of
  how they were in the original file. Many time this will break
  configuration files.

Although I do use hard wrapping when writing emails and git commit
messages in Emacs (in different modes).

> Nixpkgs uses no arguments
> https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/1c2d575205f7aa3fc37d64d0606e3fd33de08d74/pkgs/applications/editors/nano/default.nix
>
> Dunno with other distributions.

For Debian, 'nano -V' displays:

address@hidden:~$ nano -V
 GNU nano,版本 3.1
 (C) 1999-2011, 2013-2018 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
 (C) 2014-2018 Nano 貢獻者
 電子郵件: address@hidden   網頁: https://nano-editor.org/
 編譯選項: --disable-libmagic --disable-wrapping-as-root --enable-utf8

I think we can also go ahead with the change if many nano users think it
is a better default (even if not all distros do it).