guix-devel

Re: Nano: disable hard wrapping by default

From: swedebugia
Subject: Re: Nano: disable hard wrapping by default
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2018 09:04:17 +0100

On 2018-11-07 19:20, Leo Famulari wrote:

snip

In general, we don't change upstream defaults in Guix except when it's
required for portability or to fix really egregious problems (i.e.
security bugs). This is different from distros like Debian that
basically fork the software and make a huge number of changes to suit
the package maintainer's taste.

This keeps package maintenance relatively easy for us and ensures that
important changes get pushed upstream so that all users can benefit.

Having said that, this line wrapping thing is a very bad default, and I
think we should change it. Nano is one of the editors in the GuixSD
installer. It needs to be easy to use.

If we change the default in our package, we need to file a bug upstream:

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=nano

Agreed. :)

--
Cheers