guix-devel

Re: hydra.gnu.org now provides substitutes for ‘guix pull’

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: hydra.gnu.org now provides substitutes for ‘guix pull’
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2018 09:19:09 +0100

On Tue, Nov 06, 2018 at 04:55:45PM +0100, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 06, 2018 at 02:30:08PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> > > Now 'guix pull' itself is rather slow. Would it be possible to use
> > > Guix pack or archive on an existing ~/.config/guix/current graph?
> >
> > Substitutes *are* such an archive.
>
> Hmmm. How do I create one? Installing on my Guix publish server (build
> host) I never get a substitute for guix pull substituting from that.
>
> For normal builds I get substitutes fine.
>
> I raised an issue on debbugs to that effect.

Another thing I find a little strange. When I install a package or an
environment it completes fine. When I add then --no-substitutes flag
and it always builds stuff like openssl and libgcrypt, pango and such
from source.

I.e., it creates a build system (I suppose). If the install is
complete it should not have to do that.

Even if I do

  guix environment -C guix

(which should include a build system, right?) and after completion
run the same with --no-substitutes it starts to build right away.

Any thoughts on that?

Pj.