guix-devel

Re: Come back and graphical installer

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Come back and graphical installer
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 22:29:25 +0100

Hello!

Mathieu Othacehe <address@hidden> skribis:

> I updated the wip-newt-installer, with a first testable version of the
> installer. As it requires to rebuild the world and it is not built by
> berlin yet, here's an iso version of the installer.
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OoVhlok1QMRcItwGBZfYn8Ocma-h2oGL/view?usp=sharing

Arf, sorry we haven’t set up berlin yet.  Now there’s no risk of having
a disk space shortage there so we should really do it.

Now, is the full rebuild caused by the installation of the
i18n/SUPPORTED file in the glibc package?

If the answer is yes, what about creating a separate package (or simply
a ‘computed-file’) that would contain nothing but that file?  That would
allow us to avoid the full rebuild this time, and thus we could push the
new interface out sooner.  (Also, we wouldn’t have to connect to Google
Drive.  :-))

WDYT?

> Since my last email, I also added an abstraction layout (in the
> gnu/bootloader.scm idea), so that if we want to add a new (gtk3?)
> installer in the future, we can still use the same grounds.

Sounds really nice!

> I feel that now is a good time to gather remarks/ideas/patches before
> diving into the last part. Plus, I'm terrible UI design so any help
> tuning logo, colors and button placement would be much appreciated :)

Minor issue: I think ‘configure.ac’ should not abort when Newt is
missing; in general, I think we’ll want to build Guix without Newt and
without building the installer.  Likewise, in (guix self), we should
create a special “node” containing (gnu installer …) and arrange so that
it’s not compiled; it makes no sense to have it compiled here, except
for testing.

WDYT?

Thank you!

Ludo’, who’d like to give it a try soon!