guix-devel

Re: Preparing the reduced bootstrap tarballs

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Preparing the reduced bootstrap tarballs
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2018 19:39:37 +0100

Mark H Weaver writes:

> Anyway, I've answered my own question by looking at:
>

> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/make-bootstrap.scm?h=core-updates-next&id=d9ed0a46301e259c3082fcc67678e72ceae19a2d#n778
>
> which indicates to me that although gcc, binutils, and glibc have been
> eliminated from the Guix bootstrap binaries, they still include
> statically-linked versions of Guile, Coreutils, Bzip2, XZ, Gawk, Tar,
> and Grep.  These are the remaining precompiled binaries that I'm worried
> about.

As far as I'm concerned our next step after the Reduced Binary Seed
bootstrap--that is yet to be released from core-updates-next---is the
Scheme-only bootstrap.

The plan is to have Guile and Gash initially replace all coreutils&co
and build them from source early in the bootstrap phase, right after
having built tcc and GNU make.  We have managed to build GNU make
without any dependency on any of the tool you mention (except for
Guile).

We're not there yet, gash cannot build mes or tcc.  Also, the latest mes
0.18 release cannot support buillding bash yet.  Lots of fun hacking
todo!

A next step could be to replace bootstrap-guile with mes, or create a
real small version of bootstrappable Guile.

Greetings,
janneke

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | AvatarĀ® http://AvatarAcademy.com