guix-devel

Re: Preparing the reduced bootstrap tarballs

From: jeremiah
Subject: Re: Preparing the reduced bootstrap tarballs
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 00:26:59 +0000

> so, if I don't get it wrong, every skilled engineer will be able to
> build an "almost analogic" (zero bit of software preloaded) computing
> machine ad use stage0/mes [1] as the "metre" [2] to calibrate all other
> computing machines (thanks to reproducible builds)?

well, I haven't thought of it in those terms but yes I guess that is one
of the properties of the plan.

> the first bit of code have to be "manually" introduced in the machine,
> right?
Correct, otherwise you'll have to deal with firmware/bios as a trust
vector to be concerned about.

> for the lazyer like me, what about a punched card? :-)
If someone is willing to figure out how to read a deck of punched cards
without software, I'd be interested in learning more.

> I didn't know about Nexus Intruder attacks: could you please give me
> some links to the relevant bibliography?
I'll see if I can dig those up for you.

> so, having the scientific proof that binary conforms to source, there
> will be noo need to trust (the untrastable)
Well, that is what someone else could do with it but not a direct goal
of the work.

-Jeremiah