guix-devel

Merging ‘wip-newt-installer’ in master?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Merging ‘wip-newt-installer’ in master?
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2018 10:13:58 +0100

Hi,

Mathieu Othacehe <address@hidden> skribis:

>> I was going to suggest the ‘login-program’ way.  :-)  What’s the story
>> with PAM env variables?
>
> The LANG env variable is important so that the installer can install the
> right locale at start. However, it is not available yet when using
> login-program. Any idea how to overcome this?

If you add it to /etc/environment (through
‘session-environment-service-type’) it should be fine no?

I’d like to make a release within 10 days, meaning ‘core-updates’ is
merged by then.

Do we go ahead and use the installer in the image as well?  That would
get real-world testing.  The conditions for this IMO would be that:

  1. ./configure and (guix self) are adjusted to not build the
     installer, at least by default.

  2. The “old” installation method remains prominently available, either
     by making it clear people can use ctrl-alt-f2 & co. to switch to a
     terminal, and maybe adding a message on the welcome page stating
     that the installer is “beta” or something.

  3. The manual is updated to at least mention the new installer, maybe
     not in detail.

How does that sound?

It seems to me that it’s OK to push it quickly because it looks pretty
good already and if it happens to be buggy, people can always use the
old method.

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.