guix-devel

Re: Merging ‘wip-newt-installer’ in master?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Merging ‘wip-newt-installer’ in master?
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 14:49:35 +0100

Hello!

Mathieu Othacehe <address@hidden> skribis:

>> If you add it to /etc/environment (through
>> ‘session-environment-service-type’) it should be fine no?
>
> LANG is already part of /etc/environment variables which are loaded by
> the login program which is PAM aware. The installer isn't PAM aware and
> it replaces the login program thus LANG is never loaded.

Oh, got it.

Now, why does the default value of LANG matter anyway?  I mean, the
installer starts out with a default language, presumably English, right?
So you can simply add, say, (setenv "LC_ALL" "en_US.utf8") when starting
the installer, can’t you?

>>   1. ./configure and (guix self) are adjusted to not build the
>>      installer, at least by default.
>>
>>   2. The “old” installation method remains prominently available, either
>>      by making it clear people can use ctrl-alt-f2 & co. to switch to a
>>      terminal, and maybe adding a message on the welcome page stating
>>      that the installer is “beta” or something.
>>
>>   3. The manual is updated to at least mention the new installer, maybe
>>      not in detail.

Also:

  4. The installation system tests still work (e.g.,
     “make check-system TESTS=installed-os”.)  Normally they won’t
     require any modifications since they just run a Bash installation
     script directly through the marionette.

>> How does that sound?
>
> I agree it would be great :), I'm currently focusing on parted support
> but, I'll shift to the 3 points you described above so that it can be
> merged on time.

Awesome.

When do you think we could merge?  I’d like to release by the end of
next week or the week after at the latest.  (If you think you can’t make
it, that’s fine too, no pressure!)

Thanks!

Ludo’.