guix-devel

Re: util-linux and perl rename

From: Thorsten Wilms
Subject: Re: util-linux and perl rename
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 09:53:04 +0100

On 26/11/2018 06.12, Alex Vong wrote:
To eliminate this conflict, I can think of 2 solutions:

   1. Use 2 separate profiles where one has util-linux installed and the
   other has rename installed.

   2. Install util-linux into the default profile, but invoke rename by
   "guix environment --ad-hoc rename -- rename ..." instead of
   "rename ..."

These 2 solutions work in general as well, such as for conflicting
library versions, conflicting language runtimes...

I prefer the 2nd solution since maintaining 2 separate profiles just for
using rename seems too "heavy weight" to me.

Thanks for 2 solutions. Luckily, I don't need access to the util-linux rename. I have to note, that if I was working on scripts with the intention to share them with users of other distributions, the 2nd wouldn't be an option. Too bad we don't have command URIs :}

I would have been tempted to put a symlink in /usr/local/bin, but there's no "latest-of-package-foo" to link to, right?

Is there a way to get a list of all name clashes on the system?

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/