guix-devel

Re: util-linux and perl rename

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: util-linux and perl rename
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 03:58:41 -0500

Alex Vong <address@hidden> writes:

> Thorsten Wilms <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I already had a "rename" binary via util-linux. Then I installed the
>> package "rename", resulting in another "rename" binary, as I prefer
>> the Perl version. This was a success in that I got what I wanted.
>>
>> However, should this name clash be considered a bug?
>> Is there a policy for such circumstances?
>> What happens that the newly installed "rename" gets precedence?
>>
> I think it is chosen based on some random criterions

It's not random, but rather a very simple criterion.  The packages
listed first in the package manifest take priority over ones that come
later.  If you don't use manifests, "guix package -i <pkg>" puts <pkg>
at the top of the new manifest, even if it was already present in the
previous manifest.

       Mark