guix-devel

Re: Better support for single-user systems

From: Clément Lassieur
Subject: Re: Better support for single-user systems
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2018 17:58:24 +0100

Hi Ricardo,

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Clément,
>
>> You don't need to use the root account at all.
>
> One wrinkle is that the binary installation method installs Guix for the
> root user and takes the guix-daemon from there.

Taylan was talking about 'reconfiguring' and thus, I think, about
GuixSD.  GuixSD's guix-daemon is updated on reconfigure, not from the
root account.

(For the foreign distro installation, an extra step is needed indeed:
one needs to get /etc/systemd/system/guix-daemon.service to point to the
user's Guix current profile so to remove the need for the Guix of root.)

Clément