guix-devel

Re: Better support for single-user systems

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Better support for single-user systems
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2018 14:49:15 +0100

Hello!

Clément Lassieur <address@hidden> skribis:

> You can use you current user's guix installation for all commands that
> need root's permissions with 'sudo -E', so you can consider that your
> current user's guix account is the system-wide guix account.
>
> For example, 'sudo -E guix system reconfigure config.scm' updates the
> system with your user's guix.

I concur with Clément here.

However, I think there might be value for better support of multi-user
systems.  :-)  That is, in some contexts such as HPC clusters or even
simply multi-user laptops, it might be useful for root to run “guix pull
--all” or something, and have all the user Guixes updated, or maybe only
for users who have never run ‘guix pull’.

Food for thought…

Ludo’.