gutopia-dev

Re: [rgui-dev] binding only to exposure

From: Tom Sawyer
Subject: Re: [rgui-dev] binding only to exposure
Date: 23 Aug 2002 16:59:16 -0600

On Fri, 2002-08-23 at 13:07, Massimiliano Mirra wrote:
> Sorry, no.  I am still struggling with getting a mixed LAN
> authenticate from a single source, and whenever I get a spare hour I
> try to work on rpkg.  That barely leaves me time for sleeping, so I'm
> afraid I won't be of much help on the actual coding side here. :-(((

certainly that's a-okay, your thoughts are more than helpful. you've
already helped the project bunches.

> True.  Either one effectively binds *all* widgets to *each* getter,
> with watch_methods and the single block performing the whole update
> [*], or binds selected widgets to selected variables.  Both are
> problematic with larger applications (well, the first one still works
> with compiled languages, but we're not using one).
>
> [*] It occurs to me that some update policy could be implemented for
> the widgets, such as `update only if value is different' or `update if
> no other update occurred in the last half second'.

this first policy is implemented --unless the value actually changes the
bound proc won't fire. the second i'm not so sure about. timed-events,
essentially? will have to think on how they'd be implemented.

> Well, you know my take on that. ;-) But it's ok to experiment, in any
> case we'll get better acquainted with the domain.

we will indeed soon see. should be fun to see what the results are.

~transami