gutopia-dev

[rgui-dev] [Fwd: Re: A Repeat: New Language After Ruby?]

From: Tom Sawyer
Subject: [rgui-dev] [Fwd: Re: A Repeat: New Language After Ruby?]
Date: 28 Aug 2002 07:29:59 -0600

--
~transami
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: A Repeat: New Language After Ruby? Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 08:06:06 -0500
Tom,

> as it turns out i need a cross-platform report tool and your Datavision
> just got the job, despite that i dislike java. ;-)

Thanks...I think :-)

>    "i do not like java, sam i am. i do not like it with JDBC, i do not
> like it with J2EE! ..." :-)

*guffaw*

> but you know what i'm going to have to do, right?...yes, indeed. when
> GUtopIa is ready i'm going to convince you to port Datavision back to
> Ruby. i must! some how, some way. Datavision is the perfect "litmus
> test". if we can handle it, and better than Java, then GUtopIa will
> "earn its wings" and be a success. Please give it some thought.

I will, but I'm afraid it's not too likely. There is simply no good reason
to port back to Ruby. Liking Ruby--or GUtopIa--better is not reason enough.
I have an installed user base that already has Java (by definition) and may
not have Ruby. If they have Ruby, they may not have the Ruby DBI/DBD
modules. DataVision is a working application; switching languages and
introducing a slew of new bugs is probably not wise.

I will certainly look at GUtopIa carefully, and wish you the best of luck
with it.

Jim
--
Jim Menard, address@hidden, http://www.io.com/~jimm/
"Is 'anal-retentive' hyphenated?" -- Alison Bechdel

--- End Message ---