gutopia-dev

RE: [rgui-dev] Idea for binding to the low level api

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: RE: [rgui-dev] Idea for binding to the low level api
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 06:25:57 -0700

Massimiliano Mirra wrote:

> Curt, could you please post a small snippet of XUL?  It was mentioned
> on ruby-talk when I brough up the subject, but I gather it is
> processed at runtime, isn't it?  Also I wonder in what terms it
> thinks, whether widgets or more abstract entities.

Yes, it is parsed and processed at runtime. Here's a complete sample XUL
application:

  <?xml version="1.0"?>
  <?xml-stylesheet href="chrome://global/skin/xul.css" type="text/css"?>
  <window id="main-window" xmlns:html="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";

xmlns="http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul";>
    <menubar>
        <menu name="File">
          <menuitem name="Hello World!" onclick="dump('Hello world!\n');"/>
        </menu>
    </menubar>
  </window>

Also, another problem area was internationalization. There was a mechanism
for I18N, but it was difficult to use and made the (already verbose) XUL
even harder to read.

Curt