gutopia-dev

Re: [rgui-dev] Idea for binding to the low level api

From: Kero van Gelder
Subject: Re: [rgui-dev] Idea for binding to the low level api
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 10:38:25 +0200

> > that's very cool. just by changing the stylesheet you get a whole new
> > layout, but the functionality would remain in essence the same.
>
> And that's even better.  Yes, I'm dreaming of functionality driven GUI
> design.
>
> See, I don't really want to be a GUI designer when I code anymore than
> I want to be a typesetter when I write.
>
> Once I explain what kind of input/output ports my program needs, an
> engine should come up with a nice layout on its own, following some
> set of good design rules, just like LaTeX comes up with a nicely
> typeset document even though I only tell it that I want A4 paper, that
> it is an article, and that a bunch of words throughout the text are
> more important than the surrounding ones.
>
> But I'm just dreaming...

No, you're not.

But it will be hard. Maybe we can build some test-thingies, that show
a varied set of functionality, yet should be layouted and widgetized
as automatic as possible (if I look at x-chat, for example, it has
loads of widgets. Some of them are in a logical spot, others seem
arbitrary or not in need for the big window.

Otot, if you consider a Dialog, it consists of a Title/Category, a
Message, an OK-I've-read-this or a Yes-vs-No functionality (or even
Apply-OK-Cancel). So there is hope :)

At this stage, I'd like to point out that the screen of an iPAQ is
small, and scrollbars won't solve the issue. The amount of widgets in
a window must be restricted, so what seems good to combine into one
window for 1024x768, should be in multiple windows at 320x240. And
yes, someone ported x-chat to iPAQ, but I don't remember what it looks
like.

|  Don't split your mentality without thinking twice       |
|                          Proud like a God -- Guano Apes  |
+--- M38c ---------- http://httpd.chello.nl/k.vangelder ---+