gwhere-discussion

[Fwd: Re: [GWhere-discussion] possible bug report on disk naming]

From: Zero
Subject: [Fwd: Re: [GWhere-discussion] possible bug report on disk naming]
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 23:59:00 +0200

Hi again,

This my response to Wolf Lichtenberger about his last mail. ;-)
A lot of work in prospect!!

--
Best regards,

Zero
Maintainer,

GWhere - Another way to manage your catalogs!!
http://www.gwhere.org

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: [GWhere-discussion] possible bug report on disk naming Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:57:23 +0200 User-agent: Mozilla Thunderbird 0.5 (X11/20040309)
Hi,

Is it normal if you didn't post this mail on the mailing list??

|>> If i give (or forget to empty) a name in the "Management" dialog's
|>> "Name" text field, then Gwhere consistently uses that instead of a
|>> CDs label data. Sorry if i was unclear about that.
|>
|> Ok, GWhere should do the inverse : if the CD label data is not
|> present, it use the "Name" text field in the "Management" dialog.
|> At time, I'm unable to replay the trouble. But I looking for a solve.
|> I keep you informed.
|
| I said a mistake!! :-/
| GWhere use the disk label only if the corresponding option is checked
| and if the field named "Disk Name" is empty. You can check it with the
| tooltips on the option "use disk label as disk name".
|
| So your trouble is not really a bug.
| Do you think that we should change this feature behavior??

You're right, of course. But (not looking that hard at the tooltip info) i read this option as an imperative, i.e. "ignore any Name entry and get it from the
disk instead".

So, i guess i'll consider this a conceptual bug: the button text leads me to
believe one thing while the tooltip says something IMHO different.
Anyway, i understand that one now; it won't bite me anymore. 8^)

I think I will change this behavior. I cannot do it for the next version of GWhere because it is near to be ready.

On a related note, how about changing "disk" on that dialog page to "media" or some such? I think there's someting of a confusion where "disk" is used both for
the catalog entry and the physical media itself.
Furthermore, as the media can be anything mountable, like USB sticks or Flash
cards, i'd think that "disk" is not that appropriate any more.

You're right. I will change all "disk" references about physical data storage by "media". This should be done in the same version which will fix the behavior of the "use disk label as disk name" feature.

Regards,
Zero

--
Best regards,

Zero
Maintainer,

GWhere - Another way to manage your catalogs!!
http://www.gwhere.org

--- End Message ---