gwhere-discussion

Re: [GWhere-discussion] Re[4]: Encoding under Windows and Linux

From: Zero
Subject: Re: [GWhere-discussion] Re[4]: Encoding under Windows and Linux
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 01:26:21 +0200

Hi again,

You did exhaustive tests. It is a great work !
At time, the GWhere catalog file is encoded with the local encoding (like ISO*) instead of UTF-8 encoding.

I fear, I should change the catalog file encoding to UTF-8 in order to solve your trouble...

Regards,
Zero

fuzzy2 wrote:
Hello Zero and list.

2. No I can type russian letters under Linux (I can't do it before). But
it doesn't helps. If I try to create catalog with russian name then
program didn't respond to 'OK' key in window 'New catalog'. (If catalog
name is in english than all is ok). If I try to add CD with russian
description than program suggest me to ender disk description and accepts
only english description again (If I typed in russian description then
window with question appeared again).

Could you give me some more advices?
Or may be I can help you to test this behaviour?

Could you send me a sample catalog created under MS Windows with russian
description please ? If you prefer, you can send me a catalog to my
personal email address.

All information above are correct, but I have collected some additional information. I created new catalog under Windows (it is attached to this mail as Ru_discs.ctg). Several CD/DVD were added to this catalog with russian descriptions and russian file names (you can see a lot of russian files at the end of mp3 on first 4 music CDs). Under Windows all is fine except I can't assign any russian category. I can create category with russian name but when I try to assign it I see empty space instead of russian name of category and GWhere don't allow me to assign such "empty" category.
Then I copy this Ru_discs.ctg into Linux. Now I have GWhere compiled with
--enable-gtk20. I suppose that as result of it I don't see '?' instead of every
russian letter. At present moment I see russian filenames and descriptions
coded with strange symbols. I suppose that I see strange symbols because of
wrong font charset - for example GWhere uses KOI8-R instead of cp1251. (If you
need I can send you screenshots from Linux and Windows to show difference).
Then I tried to create catalog under Linux (it is attached as
Ru_discs_Linux.ctg). One CD was added to this catalog - the result is the same,
I see strange symbols instead of russian letters. But I can't add any russian
description, custom disc name or category as I mentioned before GWhere don't
allow me to push OK button after russian name was entered.
In addition I have attached to this mail my file /etc/sysconfig/i18n from Linux
that contains system settings for internationalizaion.
If you need more additional information don't hesistate to ask me. I will try
to provide you as much info as I can because at present moment GWhere is the
best catalog program that runs equally under Linux and Windows. So I want to
help you to do it better :-)

Thank you in advance.
Best regards,
Vlad