gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] (Lately)

From: b . fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] (Lately)
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 21:33:52 +0200 (MEST)

> > Restructured views: I've made View and FallbackView into one class
> > (View) by introducing the ViewContext abstraction, allowing you
> > to retrieve stuff like
> > the cursor position and the dimension set-- that can be implemented
> > reading that from the structure or from a Java object.
>
> For the moment, let's not be too concerned with the structure: first let's
> make a thing that works right to the user. Then we'll build the turtles
> inside.

Hm. Are you suggesting to implement complete bindings in Fallback-- i.e.,
not only a minimal set that allows us to get things to work, but all the bells
and whistles (like real marking etc.)?

> > My request:
>
> > Tuomas, could you please factor out / rewrite the algorithm from the
> > ExternalEditor class? We need it for Fallback, because we cannot edit
> Jython scripts
> > (for the real client) in one-line cell vobs.
> > Anyway, do you think it would be a great hassle to implement this?
>
> The problem is that the algorithm is really clumsy and isn't really good
> to use: it doesn't find the most natural way to do things.

Well, a reasonably-well working algorithm is better than no algorithm at
all. I'd suggest that we make an interface and make this the first
implementation of the interface.

> Is jython-speed ok?

I don't know-- it's certainly not enough for an edithack-style window (that
syncs on every keypress), but it could well be good enough for an external
editor/dialog box interface, so let's have that for now. If we have big
problems in the end, we can still make a Java implementation of the interface.

-b.