gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] vk, July 26th

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] vk, July 26th
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 11:19:31 +0300

> Being something of a python enthusiast myself, I would happily contribute
> to maintaining a python-version of our core libraries (referring to
> Benja's recent mail), if that helped us move away from the hybrid java/python
> solution -- which is by definition inefficient -- we have now.

Uhh, Java is quite fast compared to python actually. Jython is a little
slower.

Like I said in an email to Benja, the only way I'd see us moving from
Java would be to first move the Java code to "compilable python",
meaning that we'd have a compiler that would understand that some
variables are strictly typed etc, but I don't see that happening
in the near future.

>From a programming point of view, Jython + Java is very efficient:
fast prototyping, good performance for Java code.

        Tuomas