gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Motto of good UI

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Motto of good UI
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 13:55:16 +0100

Tuomas Lukka wrote:

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 10:59:12PM +0100, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
Not making this a PEG, because it's a bit too small at this time to make sense, but I've just had an idea for a Gzz "motto:"

  Don't ask what you can do for your computer.
  Ask what your computer can do for you.

This makes sense insofar as Gzz tries to better support humans' structure of thought-- rather than forcing hierarchies etc. Of course zzstructure forces its own structure, but potentially, it does much better than PUIs or folders.

Hmm. To me, the motto would mislead a little towards those horrible "intelligent
user interfaces" such as the paperclip. Which are about the opposite of Ted's
philosophy (which I've accepted): computers shouldn't be trying to do things
they're good at. They should not try to personificate themselves or anything,
they should just be the mindless tools they are. But *POWERFUL* mindless tools.

I don't want a hammer asking me "what can I do for you?" ;)

Hm, what I meant is of course not asking the *computer*, but asking the *designer*. I mean, in the original quote-- you don't ask "your country" something either, do you? :-)

Anyway.
- Benja