gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Overnet

From: hemppah
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Overnet
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 20:28:17 +0200

Quoting Vesa Kaihlavirta <address@hidden>:

> On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 03:50:14PM +0100, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
> >
> > Hi Hermanni,
> >
> > when we talked on IRC, you said that Overnet is available as Free
> > Software. Googling that, I can find no statements to that effect (and
> > the download from the Overnet page is binary-only)... can you give
> > references?
>
> Mldonkey has an implementation of Overnet.
>
> http://www.nongnu.org/mldonkey/

Hi,

Could you clarify, that is this implementation of Overnet or ed2k ? The
difference between these two is that there are both clients and server in the
ed2k network. In Overnet, however, there is only overnet clients (servants)
which require no server connection upon client bootstrap when joining to
network.

Even though Overnet is next generation of ed2k, Overnet is backward compatible
with ed2k network.

-Hermanni