gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] ``xu_link_space--benja``: Put xanalogical links into the same

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] ``xu_link_space--benja``: Put xanalogical links into the same space
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 20:19:56 +0100

Tuomas Lukka wrote:

``xu_link_space--benja``: Put xanalogical links into the same space

Xanalogical links are currently stored in a different space,
because we do not want the cells that make up the link
to be shown as transclusions. However, this introduces
additional complexity, such as the need to know about
two different ``Space`` objects in many places,

Which places?

Everywhere we want to resove links. I.e., in the client, in the binder, in xupdf...

or
to have a Storm pointer reference in the main space that allows

Why is this a problem?

Because it's additional complexity...

I think the two latter reasons are much better than the first one;
you might want to concentrate more on them.

Ok, I will re-order.

Thus, I propose to put the links into the same space
and to have a more generally useful way for avoiding
to show them as transclusions.

Ok, agreed.

As for this way, for now I propose
to have a dimension ``a.hidden-transclusion``; if
a cell has a posward connection on ``a.hidden-transclusion``,
it will not by default be shown in that kind of context.
(Of course, for diagnostic views, we may want to view
such cells also.)

Hmmmm... This sounds like a really bad kludge. Any other way?

Can you explain why you consider it a kludge? I considered it pretty normal...

Notes:

- The respective applitudes creating the cells are responsible
for putting the additional connection in.
- Often, the connection on ``a.hidden-transclusion`` will
simply be to the cell itself, thus forming a single-cell
ringrank. Since it doesn't matter what the connection
is to, this is convenient.
- The ``a.`` prefix is for 'attribute,' since this
is an attribute of a cell.

Ted did have in his designs flags and attributes of cells...

Yes, that's what this is modeled after?
- Benja